Watchdog group compiles list of “top 10 craziest lawsuits”
Concerned citizens are invited to visit the Louisiana Lawsuit Abuse Watch (LLAW) group online where they can select their top choice for the most outrageous lawsuit of the year. But it will be not be easy, Melissa Landry, the group’s executive director, points out.
Lawsuit Abuse Awareness Week runs from Dec. 12 to Dec. 16. LLAW has compiled a list of 10 lawsuits from parishes throughout the state that considered frivolous and overly costly.
“Just remember, while many of these cases may seem too ridiculous to be true—they are all real suits that have real consequences,” Landry said. “The million-dollar payouts and the costs to our judicial system are all too real. And, even if a frivolous lawsuit results in no award to the person suing, it can still cost thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours in the courtroom to defend. When someone is truly wronged, a lawsuit can bring needed justice, but when our legal system is abused, we all pay and we all lose.”
The 10 lawsuits compiled by LLAW can be viewed here.
To vote visit www.LLAW.org, twitter.com/ReformLouisiana or join the Louisiana Lawsuit Abuse Watch group on Facebook to vote for the most outrageous lawsuit of the year.
- Lower Threshold for Jury Trials Could Reduce Louisiana Car Insurance Rates
- ACORN’s Project Vote Affiliate Uses Consent Agreements to Block Vote Fraud Investigations, Former Employee Says
- Smith and Grassley Author Bill to Combat Wasteful Lawsuits
- Louisiana’s Legislative Elections Could Jumpstart Litigation Reform Efforts
- Union Wages Drive Up Costs, Increase Tax Burden for Louisiana Residents